History

aerial shot of campus from 1967

Sonoma State College was established by the California State Legislature in 1960 to be part of the California State College system, with significant involvement of the faculty from San Francisco State University. Sonoma opened for the first time in 1961, with an initial enrollment of 250 students. With the completion of Stevenson Hall and Darwin Hall, the college moved to its permanent campus in 1966 where the first graduating class received their degrees. In 1978, Sonoma State College became Sonoma State University when the school officially gained university status.

Green Music Center under construction in 2009

Department of Music Timeline

  • 1967    Ives Hall opens as home of Performing Arts department
  • 1972    Department of Music accredited by National Association of Schools of Music
  • 1989    Evert B. Person Theatre constructed
  • 2008    Music Department moves classes to the Green Music Center. Performances continue in Ives Hall  
  • 2010    Music Department gives Collage Concert in Weill Hall, still under construction
  • 2010    GMC 1028 and 1029 open 
  • 2012    Weill Hall opens
  • 2014    Schroeder Hall opens

 

Groundbreaking ceremony for the Green Music Center in 2005
Groundbreaking ceremony for the Green Music Center in 2005. From left, Jeff Langley, Rebecca Green Birdsall, Donald Green, William R. Williams, Marne Olson, Ruben Armiñana, Floyd Ross.

Sonoma State Wind Ensemble plays for GMC groundbreaking in 2005.
Members of the Sonoma State Wind Ensemble play for GMC groundbreaking in 2005. Brian Wilson, conductor.

College Concert in Weill Hall on Family Weekend 2010
Collage Concert in Weill Hall, Family Weekend 2010. Photo by The Press Democrat.