The Music Department regards continuous experience in active music-making to be an essential part of college music study.
To provide this experience, the department offers a wide range of ensembles both vocal and instrumental.
• All music majors (performance, jazz studies, liberal arts, and music education) must declare a major performance medium (instrument or voice) upon entering their program of study.
• Every music major is required to be in one major performing ensemble during each semester of residence in which he or she plays his or her declared performance medium (instru- ment or voice). Students may be invited to play in additonal major ensembles.
• Students may substitute a minor ensemble for a major en- semble no more than twice.
Additional Ensemble for music students in all majors and concentrations
Vocalists must participate in an instrumental ensemble (Brass Ensemble, Chamber Music, Concert Band, Percussion Ensemble, Rock Collegium, Symphonic Wind Ensemble, Concert Jazz Ensembles, Latin Jazz Ensemble, Jazz Orchestra) at least one semester.
Instrumentalists must participate in choral ensemble (Symphonic Chorus, Chamber Singers) at least one semester.
Specific ensemble requirements for students majoring in the B.M. in Music Education concentration
The major ensembles for vocal students in music education are:
- Symphonic Chorus, MUS 325
- Chamber Singers, MUS 323
The major ensembles for strings, woodwind, brass and percussion students majoring in music education are:
Symphony Orchestra (required for string majors), MUS 325
- Concert Band, MUS 227
- Symphonic Wind Ensemble, MUS 327
- Jazz Orchestra, MUS 390
- Guitar Ensemble (guitar majors only), MUS 326
- The major ensembles for pianists will be determined in consultation with the department chair and the area coordinator and must include at least four semesters of: Chamber Music Ensembles, MUS 329
In addition, instrumentalists majoring in music education must participate at least one semester in a jazz ensemble (Concert Jazz Ensembles Latin Jazz Ensemble Jazz Orchestra).
Vocalists majoring in music education must participate at least one semester in either Music Theatre Production or Music Theatre Scenes.